What I love about it, is that it is not only refreshing, but it also has the right balance between coffee, sweetness, and booze. You will be able to enjoy a drink that could easily be offered at $12-15 at a bar, at only a fraction of the cost.
The preparation is as important as the ingredients. I am using a cocktail shaker to mix it and to get it cold. The shaker is important, because it allows you to get it nice and cold really fast, and it reduces the dilution of your coffee. Have you ever ordered an Iced Latte from Starbucks, just to find a bunch of watery coffee and tasteless ice at the bottom of the cup? That doesn't happen with this preparation.
- 1 double shot of your favorite espresso
- 1 cup of milk (I use whole milk)
- 4 drops of good quality vanilla extract
- 1/3 shot of Amaretto Disaronno. You can find this available in most Supermarkets
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
1) In the cocktail shaker add the ice cubes, milk, vanilla extract, Amaretto Disaronno, and sugar. Add more sugar if you want it sweeter, but keep on mind that the Amaretto is sweet.
2) Prepare a double shot of your favorite espresso
3) Add the espresso into the shaker
4) Close the shaker and shake for one or two minutes. Note how cold and frosty the shaker is going to get
5) Using the bar strainer (or fork) pour into your favorite glass
6) Garnish with ground cinnamon
Final NotesLike anything else in life. The better the ingredients are going in, the better the final result
If you use low-quality ingredients, don't expect a high-quality beverage. I know there are Amaretto essences, but I strongly advise on using Amaretto Disaronno, since it provides a nice touch and with the amount suggested the alcohol level will be very low.
The presentation is also important and affects your senses. Try not to use a plastic cup or mug for this drink. If you have one, use a tall transparent glass. It will improve your experience, and it will make it more enjoyable.
Let me know if you try it and if you think there are ways to make a better recipe.